- This event has passed.
Introduction to Fly Casting
July 7 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 amFree
Friends of the Fox River welcomes L. L. Bean Outdoor Discovery School leader, Bev DeJovine to their Schweitzer Environmental Center on Saturday, July 7, 2018 from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. for an introduction to fly casting. Friends of the Fox River board member Pat Okonek, an avid Fox River fly fisherman himself, will lead the workshop.
PLEASE RSVP BELOW
Participants will learn fundamental fly-casting skills, including the basics needed to enjoy a successful fly fishing outing. They’ll observe and try the proper techniques in the following areas: the 4-part fly cast, the false cast, the roll cast, stripping and shooting line, tying basic fly-fishing knots (including the double surgeons and improved clinch knots, hook set), and fishing conservation.
- Safety Briefing
- Overview of the day
- Understanding the fly fishing outfit – rod/reel/lines/fly
- How to string a fly rod
- How to hold a fly rod
- Demonstrate 4-part forward cast and have participants practice
- Demonstrate false cast and have participants practice
- Demonstrate a roll cast and have participants practice
- Demonstrate key knots tying and have participants practice (double surgeons and improved clinch)
- General overview of flies: dry/streamer/nymphs
- Hooked! Playing a fish, keeping them wet, releasing
- Fishing strategies – wading (wading stick), from shore, fishing safety, conservation
- Knowing the Fox River