Welcome to the first issue of Friends of the Fox River’s e-News — our monthly hot sheet for Fox River Watershed conservation news. Our quick-reference format highlights news, workshops, events, and other conservation resources (with links leading to expanded text). There’s great things happening throughout our watershed.
We urge you to get involved. If there’s conservation news we should share with others, please e-mail me with the details.
Sue Bennett, Communications Committee Chair
815-356-6605 – email@example.com
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources Conservation 2000 Program awards over $175,000 for 2007 Fox River Watershed conservation projects
- Public comment period extended for Prairie Parkway Draft Environmental Impact Statement. Third hearing date added: Tues., Feb. 13, Historic Kendall County Courthouse; written comments deadline extended: Wed., Feb. 28. details
- Illinois River Coordinating Council’s first quarter 2007 meeting scheduled for Fri., Feb. 23, 1:00PM, at the Prisco Center in Aurora. Public welcome.
- Past Friends of the Fox River President Cindy Skrukrud receives 2006 Enviromental Hero Award from Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn details
- Friends of the Fox River receives Humanitarian Award for volunteer cleanups and preservation efforts at the Chicagoland Outdoor Achievement Awards Luncheon
- Newly formed Kendall Environmental Coalition plans first environmental fair on March 24 details
- No Child Left Inside-Take ‘Em To The River (Kane County Teachers Only) Learn how Friends of the Fox River will assist you & your students in monitoring water quality. Participants will leave the workshop with the tools necessary to take students to the stream this spring. Fri., February 16, 9:00AM-2:00PM, Dundee-Crown High School, 1 Charger Way, Carpentersville, Fee – None, To register: Go to http://www.kane.k12.il.us/ Click on workshops & registration, scroll to Feb. 16 Institute Day, click on 936-07
- The ABC Boater’s Safety Class – The Forest Preserve District of Kendall County is hosting the Coast Guard Auxiliary America’s Boating Class. This in-depth boating safety course will give you the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification. Sat., Feb. 17, 8:00AM-5:00PM, Historic Courthouse, Yorkville, Fee $40, To register: Call Bob Allen at 630-621-5544 or 630-553-2788.)
Upcoming Spring Workshops
- No Child Left Inside-Take ‘Em To The River (Kane County Teachers Only) Repeat of Feb. 16 Kane County Institute Day workshop above. Friday, March 2, 9:00AM-2:00PM, Dundee-Crown High School, 1 Charger Way, Carpentersville, Fee – None, To register: Go to http://www.kane.k12.il.us/ Click on workshops & registration, scroll to March 2 Institute Day, click on 992-07. complete description
- Wild Things 2007 Conference A day-long conference that brings together the region’s best experts, most dedicated volunteers and anyone interested in nature. Technical presentations and interactive workshops will explore the latest in natural areas preservation, wildlife protection and monitoring. Sat., March 3, Northeastern Illinois University. complete description
- Fox River Ecosystem Partnership’s (FREP) Sixth Annual Conversations About Conservation With Our Legislators Forum for FREP members, interested residents and area legislators to get better acquainted and to discuss issues that are relevant to Fox River Watershed environmental work. Public welcome. Fri., March 9, 11:00AM-1:00PM, Prisco Center, Room 104, 150 W. Illinois Ave., Aurora. RSVP is appreciated (see description) complete description
- Meet the Macros – Great workshop for stream monitors and fishermen. This workshop will be part refresher and a whole lot of getting up close to the benthic macroinvertebrates of the watersheds of McHenry County. Restoration Ecologist John Aavang will lead us on an armchair/electronic tour that will hone identification skills and introduce us to stream macroinvertebrate adaptations. Sat., April 28, 1:00-4:00 PM, Glacial Park, The Lodge, McHenry, Fee: None. To register: Contact Mary Kozub, McHenry County Conservation District at 815-479-5779 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Friends of the Fox River will hold its next Fox Rescue Cleanup on Sat., May 19, 2007. Plan early to get involved with cleaning up the river. To set up a cleanup site in your area or to get more information about river cleanups, please contact Jessi DeMartini at 630-871-7548 or email@example.com .
To add or remove yourself from the Friends of the Fox River e-mail list, please contact Karin Ley at firstname.lastname@example.org